Fareground is hiring a Sous Chef
Sous Chef Position Description
Position Title: Sous Chef
Reports to: Executive Chef
Benefits: Sign on bonus, competitive wage, health benefits, pto and holidays
Supervise and coordinate all activities concerning back-of-the-house operations and personnel. Responsible for ensuring an efficient quality finished product before and during service hours. Assume all duties of the Chef in his absence.
Core Tasks and Responsibilities:
Food & Product
- Taste food items to insure consistency and conformance to recipes and standards of appearance.
- Take time to give special attention to special guests and guests with special needs.
- Train kitchen personnel in all menu items and food production principles and practices, by way of constant communication and assisting in the creation and use of accurate menu descriptions.
- Control food costs by maintaining product storage requirements, daily work sheets, standardized recipes, and waste control procedures.
- Create daily specials in keeping with Restaurant style.
- Maintain and update recipe book.
- Maintain product quality standards and consistency, through the hourly kitchen personnel.
- Maintain knowledge of local competition and general industry trends.
- Use daily kitchen notes to communicate amongst the team.
- Establish open lines of communication between FOH and BOH at all times.
- Work with FOH personnel to execute menu changes, specials, and information regarding shortages.
- Work closely with all management staff.
- Attend daily line up meetings. Educate FOH personnel in product awareness and cultivate long-term food knowledge.
- Lead by example and motivate through positive reinforcement.
- Be firm, fair and consistent when involved with employee issues.
- Strive for guest satisfaction—maintain the goal of creating positive guest experiences.
- Maintain the integrity of every dish no matter time, price point, whom it is for or level of difficulty.
- Organize and operate an efficient, professional service.
- Orientate, motivate, train, and educate all kitchen personnel in Restaurant policies, procedures, and rules.
- Maintain a clean and organized BOH workspace.
- Hiring, disciplining and firing staff as necessary
- Praise in public, criticize behind closed doors, and give constructive criticism.
- Constantly develop culinary talent and remember that you can learn something from every employee in the restaurant.
- Maintain positive attitude about all culinary aspects of Restaurant and Market, regarding both with equal esteem.
SPECIFIC SOUS CHEF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinating prep lists prepared by each of the chefs for prep cooks and coordinates the execution of the corresponding prep.
- Proper preparation of all food items that are produced by the prep kitchen.
- Make sure that any frozen products are pulled from the freezer at least two days in advance to give them enough time to properly thaw.
- Orientate, motivate, train and educate all prep staff.
- Create and maintain the highest standards, quality and consistency with all prepped products.
- Sample food items daily to insure consistency and conformance to recipes and standards of appearance.
- Update and maintain the master prep list, market prep list and station prep lists.
- Work with the Executive Chef that all recipes are documented and accurate.
- Update and organize the recipe book as needed.
- Provide new and updated recipes to the purchaser so that they can be updated into Compeat.
- Provide all In Room Dining Recipes.
Weekly and Perpetual Cleaning Lists
- Oversee and schedule all weekly and perpetual cleaning projects.
- Work Closely with all BOH Directors to schedule and document all cleaning projects. Track all labor contributed to the perpetual cleaning list.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must have at least a high school diploma or GED. Previous kitchen experience is required with at least 1 years of working in a similar position. Must be able to work well under pressure and be self-motivated. Must have good organizational, time management and delegation skills. Good communication skills—both written and verbal, Spanish speaking would be a definite plus. Requires standing and carrying for long periods. This position may require lifting, carrying, pulling or pushing of approximately 21—50 pounds. Must work 55 to 60 weekly.