Zengo NYC seeks a Sous Chef
Sous Chef Position Description
Position Title: Sous Chef
Reports to: Chef de Cuisine
Supervise and coordinate all activities concerning back-of-the-house operations and personnel. Responsible for ensuring an efficient quality finished product before and during service hours. Assume all duties of the Chef and other Sous Chefs in their absence.
Core Tasks and Responsibilities:
Food & Product
- Taste food items to insure consistency and conformance to recipes and standards of appearance.
- Take time to give special attention to special guests and guests with special needs.
- Train kitchen personnel in all menu items and food production principles and practices, by way of constant communication and assisting in the creation and use of accurate menu descriptions.
- Control food costs by maintaining product storage requirements, daily work sheets, standardized recipes, and waste control procedures.
- Create daily specials in keeping with Restaurant style.
- Maintain and update recipe book.
- Maintain product quality standards and consistency, through the hourly kitchen personnel.
- Maintain knowledge of local competition and general industry trends.
- Use daily kitchen notes to communicate amongst the team.
- Establish open lines of communication between FOH and BOH at all times.
- Work with FOH personnel to execute menu changes, specials, and information regarding shortages.
- Work closely with all management staff.
- Attend daily line up meetings. Educate FOH personnel in product awareness and cultivate long-term food knowledge.
- Lead by example and motivate through positive reinforcement.
- Be firm, fair and consistent when involved with employee issues.
- Strive for guest satisfaction—maintain the goal of creating positive guest experiences.
- Maintain the integrity of every dish no matter time, price point, whom it is for or level of difficulty.
- Organize and operate an efficient, professional service.
- Orientate, motivate, train, and educate all kitchen personnel in Restaurant policies, procedures, and rules.
- Maintain a clean and organized BOH workspace.
- Hiring, disciplining and firing staff as necessary
- Praise in public, criticize behind closed doors, and give constructive criticism.
- Constantly develop culinary talent and remember that you can learn something from every employee in the restaurant.
- Maintain positive attitude about all culinary aspects of Restaurant and Market, regarding both with equal esteem.
SPECIFIC SOUS CHEF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinating prep lists prepared by each of the chefs for prep cooks and coordinates the execution of the corresponding prep.
- Proper preparation of all food items that are produced by the prep kitchen.
- Make sure that any frozen products are pulled from the freezer at least two days in advance to give them enough time to properly thaw.
- Orientate, motivate, train and educate all prep staff.
- Create and maintain the highest standards, quality and consistency with all prepped products.
- Sample food items daily to insure consistency and conformance to recipes and standards of appearance.
- Update and maintain the master prep list, market prep list and station prep lists.
- Work with the Executive Chef that all recipes are documented and accurate.
- Update and organize the recipe book as needed.
- Provide new and updated recipes to the purchaser so that they can be updated into Compeat.
- Provide all In Room Dining Recipes.
Weekly and Perpetual Cleaning Lists
- Oversee and schedule all weekly and perpetual cleaning projects.
- Work Closely with all BOH Directors to schedule and document all cleaning projects. Track all labor contributed to the perpetual cleaning list.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must have at least a high school diploma or GED. Previous kitchen experience is required with at least 1 years of working in a similar position. Must be able to work well under pressure and be self-motivated. Must have good organizational, time management and delegation skills. Good communication skills—both written and verbal, Spanish speaking would be a definite plus. Requires standing and carrying for long periods. This position may require lifting, carrying, pulling or pushing of approximately 21—50 pounds. Must work 55 to 60 weekly.