Fareground is hiring a Sushi Sous Chef
Position Title: Sous Chef - Sushi
Reports to: Executive Chef
Date: December 2020
Supervise and coordinate all activities concerning Sushi operations and personnel for the restaurant. Create sushi and other offerings while providing an exceptional guest experience. Responsible for ensuring an efficient quality finished product before and during service hours. Work as a team with other kitchen team members.
- Create a welcoming environment for our guests with genuine hospitality.
- Competently and confidently display expertise of sushi skills
- Create high quality sushi including cooking rice, rolling techniques, proper fish selection, handling, cutting, packaging and refrigeration procedures.
- Provide a high level of service and attention to each guest.
- Ensure all operating standards including food safety and quality are strictly adhered to
- Create a customized dining experience for each guest based on their preferences and requests
- Be knowledgeable of all restaurant menu items and promotions
- Maintain impeccable level of cleanliness and sanitation of sushi station and other kitchen areas
- Order, receive, inspect, repackage and properly store all sushi related product and fish.
- Maintain daily production records
- Perform monthly inventories and training of new teammates as required
- Complete opening and closing duties as directed
- Complete all assigned daily, weekly and monthly cleaning duties as directed
- Taste food items to insure consistency and conformance to recipes and standards of appearance
- Control food costs by maintaining product storage requirements, daily work sheets, standardized recipes, and waste control procedures
- Use daily kitchen notes to communicate amongst the team.
- Regularly follow up on e-mail communications regarding catering functions
- Establish open lines of communication between FOH and BOH at all times.
- Work with FOH managers to execute menu changes, specials, and information regarding shortages.
- Attend daily line up meetings, educate front of the house personnel in product awareness and cultivate long-term food knowledge
- Lead by example and motivate through positive reinforcement.
- Be firm, fair and consistent when involved with employee issues.
- Coordinate prep lists and production for sushi cooks
- Coordinate preparation of all group-function-related items
- Determine and communicate staffing needs to Executive Chef
- Create Sushi cook schedule to meet business needs and according to labor budgets
- Schedule must be posted by Thursday for the next week
- Take an active role to meet the financial goals of the restaurant with regards to variable labor cost
- Constantly evaluate and take measures to increase productivity of all sushi staff
- Ensure that all sushi staff are properly attired.
- Previous kitchen experience is required with at least 2 years of working in a similar position
- Understanding of catering and retail operations a plus.
- Must have good organizational, time management and delegation skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skill in English.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment while maintaining a confident, calm and friendly demeanor
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time
- Flexibility to work various shifts and weekends
- Must display a passion for the art, tradition and culture of Sushi and sushi presentation
- Ability to work as be a team player
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Intermediate computer skills and familiarity with spreadsheet and word processing programs (MS Word, Excel)
- Maintain knowledge of sushi specific purveyors contact information and delivery schedules